How to Communicate With Your Vendor Check Out Vendor Video!
There are many ways to influence the vending machine options at your workplace. Remember you can renegotiate contracts for healthier choices. Talking Points for Successfully Implementing Healthy Vending at Worksites
To begin negotiations it is important to:
- Meet with the vendor representative at your workplace to share employee feedback that indicates a desire for a healthy vending machine options.
- Provide the vending machine company with healthy food and beverage standards.
- Discuss the availability of healthier food and beverage options.
- Discuss how many healthier items to stock in the vending machine.
- Approximately 30 percent healthier items is a goal for most workplaces to start out.
- Discuss labeling the items with red-yellow-green stickers. It is important the employees know which items are considered the more nutritious items.
- Discuss reducing the cost of healthy food options.
Negotiations with vendors involving contracts should include sections that promote healthy eating. Some ideas include:
- Provide incentives for the sale of more nutritious food and beverages.
- Limit the amount of advertising that can be done on less healthful items (especially red foods).
- Allow for contract renegotiations if product or conditions change.
- Allow the workplace to decide the product placement, hours of service, and prices.
Remember the healthier items may not be demanded at first. However, the amount of sales of healthier items will increase over time.
Source: Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture